Sunday 29 September 2013

Dino 101

Recently I have been doing an online course called Dino 101 with the University of Alberta. It involves a series of videos spanning 12 different topics that are to be completed by the end of this year. After a set of videos have been watched there is a quiz to ensure that all of the information has been understood. There are also a few interactivities, like a fossil viewer and a dinosaur phylogenetic tree. I took a particular interest to the dinosaur tree, as it was quite useful and simple, and I was going to print it out and put it on my wall, however I didn't like the settings.
I'm quite well known for using CorelDraw, and I feel like I'm reasonably good with using it, so I set myself the challenge of drawing my own tree to print out. I just completed it, so here is the finished product!

I have been doing this online course to help me with my MGeol thesis, which looks at how some terrestrial dinosaurs have been found in marine rocks, and how this may be linked to ancient tsunamis. I don't have much knowledge about dinosaurs, so I thought this would be a good way to go about gaining some. I have found it very interesting so far, and I definitely think that it has helped me get some more background information. If you're interested in having a closer look, here is the link.
https://class.coursera.org/dino101-001/lecture/index


2 comments:

  1. Your dino tree is excellent. Very clear and easy to read against the white background. I may be asking for a copy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :-) Haha, I'm sure that'll be fine! ;-)

      Delete