Saturday 16 November 2013

Charmouth

Be prepared for lots of photos! Yesterday I went to Charmouth as part of my MGeol project, which is looking into the theory that terrestrial dinosaurs found in marine rocks were victims of ancient tsunamis. For this project, I am looking into a specific dinosaur called Scelidosaurus, which has been found in Charmouth.

Scelidosaurus bones and reconstruction
I met up with the finder of some of the Scelidosaurus bones, and he showed me some of his samples and took me out to Charmouth so I could collect some of my own. Here are some photos of some of his samples:

An assortment of Scelidosaurus bones

Scelidosaurus leg bone

Crinoids

Large ammonite
Here are some photos of a sample of rock that he let me take from outside the dinosaur bone:

The bone in the rock

A small bit has been chopped off

My sample
Here is a photo from Charmouth:

Some of the areas where we sampled
Here are some of the photos of the samples that I took from Charmouth:

Ammonite

Ammonites

Belemnites

Rocks where Scelidosaurus has been found

Rocks where Scelidosaurus has been found

Wood

Oyster shells and wood

All of my samples!
A side note that some of you may find funny - at one point I got stuck in the mud! It came up to my knees and went in my wellies! I had to be dug out with a spade, and I had wet feet for the rest of the day! Other than that, it was a very fun day, and I got to see some amazing samples. I'm looking forward to working with the ones that I collected, and I shall hopefully keep you updated!

4 comments:

  1. You had to be dug out with a spade? That's almost as impressive as your haul! Was there a JCB standing by, just in case? You've got some lovely ammonites there, and the belemnites look cool, but I really like the oyster shells and wood. What sort of size was Scelidosaurus? I was trying to work it out from the leg bone, but I didn't get very far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it was an interesting experience! At one point I thought it was going to come to that! Yeah, I really like that one too! It would have been 4m, or 13ft, long, and would have weighed around 270kg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I've found some interesting pieces? Any info on the possibilities would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete